How do you keep a beautiful third generation farm productive? Listen to Judy Crow, co-owner with her husband Roy, of a destination vineyard and Farmstay B &B for people who want to get away from "it all". Learn about the evolution of their farm to a successful vineyard and winery business with farm roots.
Why Grow Upper Shore Grapes - Basics:
- They have a small acreage requirement:
Up to 5 acres: Part-time venture; 5-10 acres: Part-time plus seasonal hired help; 10-15 acre: Potential for full time
- Can generate a high profit:
Up to $3000-$7000 per acre gross returns
Labor demands are spread throughout the year
- Regions with proximity to large bodies of water provide ideal climates, the upper Chesapeake Bay, less prone to ocean climatic swings provides a climate lock where temperature averages and extremes are very similar.
- Grapes have a low water requirement
- They are a smart environmental choice: low fertilizer requirements and less soil runoff
- Proximity to the University of Maryland Viticulture science center